Growing in Harmony with Sustainability
Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day is on a mission to grow sustainably. Which is why we're working hand-in-hand with our parent company, SC Johnson, to plant the seeds for a better tomorrow.
We believe all things should be Rooted in Goodness™ and we strive to be honest, informative, and authentic in how we show up. We know every choice we make today, from how we source ingredients to how we package our products, matters. And it’s these choices that can positively impact the world around us. You'll find our belief—to take only what you need and make do with what you have—sown throughout our products and practices. It’s the guiding principle for our sustainability goals and mission to help grow a more compassionate world.
We’re mindful throughout our formula development process, from how our ingredients are sourced to how they break down. When selecting our ingredients, we work closely with our suppliers to ensure our raw materials are sourced responsibly. We’re also conscious of our products leaving as minimal of a footprint as possible. We test all our down-the drain formulas for biodegradability – how well a material can break down when it interacts with the environment. We know our products live beyond their use in your home, so we’re mindful of where they go after. And this is something we take to heart, in more ways than one:
- We have no added forever chemicals (PFAS) in our products.
- All our products that go down the drain meet the widely accepted European OECD standards for biodegradability.
- In partnership with our parent company, SC Johnson, we’ve developed internal standards for making biodegradability claims that exceed even the OECD standards.
- Many of our fragrances leverage a component of upcycled ingredients (like cedarwood oil).
- Our palm oil is responsibly sourced and RSPO-certified. We aim to eventually leave palm oil in the past, and and only use ingredients that don’t lead to deforestation or negatively impact biodiversity.
- All our formulas have been, and remain, cruelty-free and are tested by people, not on animals.
We also work with trusted partners and certifications including:
- Leaping Bunny: Certification against animal cruelty.
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation: We partner with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation to keep plastic out of oceans and encourage circular economy innovations. SC Johnson was a founding signatory of the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment and became a Global Partner with EMF in 2019.
Crafted With Care
We’ve always been about down-to-earth honesty. And the truth is, not everything that seems recyclable can be recycled. Many aspects of packaging contaminate the stream at recycling facilities, making the entire product unrecyclable. And to us, that’s a shame. We know we have a responsibility to minimize our impact by maintaining recyclability standards. That’s why we’re working to create products with their end of life in mind through:
- Innovating new, reusable formats to give you better alternatives to single-use plastic.
- Offering concentrated formulas that require less water and prolonged container lifespan.
- Durable and refillable products that you can use repeatedly and then recycled.
Doing More With Less
The majority of our products, including Hand Soap,Dish Soap, and Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaners, are manufactured in a LEED-platinum certified factory, and outside its walls, we share a deep connection to the surrounding South Side Chicago community. We invest in the neighboring land to grow greener, more biodiverse spaces for gardens to thrive. As well as:
- Creating jobs for local residents in South Side Chicago.
- Using natural lighting to save on electricity.
- Utilizing super-efficient delivery trucks that run on a minimum of 20% biodiesel.
- Conserving 30 million gallons of water over 5 years.
- Partnering with local non-profit organization, Emerald South Economic Development Collaborative, to invest in transforming vacant land in the mid-South Side of Chicago into green spaces that promote positive outcomes for the surrounding community.
- Supporting local leaders via our Lots of Compassion initiative which provides garden grants to those looking to build community gardens in their own backyard.
With all this in mind, we’re committed to growing in harmony with the world around us and leaving the world a little better than we found it. We’ll continue to bring you along on our journey with honesty, transparency, and the responsibility to be a good neighbor.
As a garden-inspired brand, we believe the act of gardening is about so much more than creating beauty, it reinforces our deeply rooted belief that all living things are connected. And it’s through this belief that we’ll strive for a brighter future, together.
LEED-platinum certified factory in the South Side of Chicago
Lots of Compassion Garden in the Woodlawn Chicago neighborhood