With spring cleaning on the horizon, it's time to get your hardest working appliances in tip-top shape. White vinegar (also labeled as distilled vinegar) is a kitchen staple that works wonders as a natural cleaner. To thoroughly clean your laundry machine and dishwasher, follow the steps below.
- Mix ¼ cup white vinegar in one quart water to make the solution. Saturate a cloth or sponge with the solution and wipe down the interior of the washer.
- Run the empty machine with hot water and about two cups white vinegar.
- Run the washer a second time on the shortest cycle possible to rinse away any trace of vinegar, using only water.
- Fill the kitchen sink with two cups white vinegar and one gallon warm water. Dampen a cloth or sponge with the solution.
- Open your dishwasher and take out any removable parts, such as utensil holders and racks. Wipe them down with the dampened cloth. Set aside.
- While removable parts are out of the dishwasher, check for debris in the bottom of the machine. Use the wet rag to fish out any unwanted bits.
- Place all pieces back inside the dishwasher.
- Add two cups white vinegar to the bottom of the dishwasher and run through a regular wash cycle on the hottest setting.
- Stop the machine mid-wash, so the vinegar can sit on the bottom and work. Let it stand for about 20 minutes, then turn on to finish the cycle.