- 4x8 ft. wooden or metal bin
- Resealable plastic container
- Find a not to out-of-the-way spot in your yard that's partly sunny and partly shady.
- Line the bottom of a wooden or metal bin with twigs.
- Put six to eight inches of green and brown matter down, followed by a thin layer of garden soil. Repeat these layers three times. Ideally, your compost pile should be one part green materials to two parts brown, so everything breaks down correctly.
- Turn your pile every other week with a rake
Tips for Inspiration
- Avoid adding anything treated with pesticides or herbicides, animal and dairy products, oil, grease, diseased or poisonous plants, weeds or any plants that aren't completely dead ( they can take root in your pile and no one wants that ).
- Be sure to make your compost pest-proof by using a lid or tarp, turning it over often and soaking it with water.